Sunday, July 13, 2014

Starting off

Friends keep suggesting that I start a blog, even my own family thinks I should start one.  I will admit English Literature was my best subject in school and I do enjoy writing but what I usually wrote were poems or short stories.  Writing something more general isn't as easy as it sounds and I can't pick just one subject.  I had even thought of doing free-lance writing off and on but always decided not to do it.   So I'll give blogging a shot and see how it goes.  My blog isn't about anything in particular, it will be whatever thought crosses my mind at the time.  Since I need a starting point I should probably start with where I am and how I got here.

Currently I am sitting in the middle of Alabama in a 5th wheel trailer.  My husband (known from here on as John) and I decided to live in our 5'er full time over the summer about 2 years ago to see if we could make a go of it or not.   About four months into our trial period he was laid off from a company he had been with for 24 years.  With the winter months coming up quick and he no longer had a job to tie us there, we decided to pack up and leave town.   I make it sound as if we were in some tiny town in the middle of nowhere but no, we were in a large metropolis in the north.

Our original idea was to travel around the states visiting different areas as we wished.  However my mother had decided she too wanted to hit the road and do all the traveling she hasn't been able to do in the past.  We headed south to help her get her house up for sale.  We are still working on that part, as her house needed to be updated badly.  We are closer to having her house ready, just a few more things to work out.  Then it will be a waiting game.  So for now we are here in the deep South.  John is working at a seasonal job since we still need money to live on and I do whatever it is I do.

John has tried his hand at doing a blog but he hasn't updated it in a long time.  Mostly due to us not going anywhere.  We have had a few small excursions last year and even did a 3 month stint working for Amazon.com's Camperforce.   John really enjoyed working there but financially it didn't really work out for us.  We would have been better off staying put and finding a job here over that same time period.  However we did make new friends while we were there and got to see a part of Kentucky we would not have seen had we stayed here.  I think meeting people and going to new places is the biggest plus of living in a 5'er, you able to go wherever the road leads.  Plus you end up making loads of friends and with the advent of the Internet keeping in touch is easier than it used to be.

2 comments :

  1. I'm kinda glad you came to Alabama as I have been blessed deeply by your friendship... My life is all around more rewarding cause you are in it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cathy! John and I are glad we stayed at this little RV park and made such good friends with you all too! It's a blessing we found the park and the wonderful people in it!

    ReplyDelete